WHAT IF I WAS TO TELL YOU THAT 20 JUMBO JETS FULL OF CHILDREN WILL CRASH TODAY, & TOMORROW, & ON & ON...? Would you be concerned? THAT IS WHY WE RUN.

  • Some 6,000 children die every day from disease associated with lack of access to safe drinking water, inadequate sanitation and poor hygiene – equivalent to 20 jumbo jets crashing every day.
  • Water-related illnesses are the leading cause of human sickness and death
  • In the past 10 years, diarrhea has killed more children than all the people lost to armed conflict since World War II.
  • 1.1 billion people in the world do not have access to safe drinking water, roughly one-sixth of the world’s population.
  • PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING: $30 provides safe drinking water for 1 person for a life time! TO DONATE, just follow this link.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Taking care of business



Good evening, people of good will!
About half an hour ago I got back from my midnight run. I ran about 7 miles, and it was quite serene. For the first time in a few weeks I ran in a long sleeve shirt, as it was a little chilly. I just ran here on campus where it was well lid; I kept thinking about our Run. Today I found out that the route in Prague will go about 300 feet away from our apartment, the one I grew up in. It will also go right through the historical heart of Prague. Amazing. I kept imagining how it's going to be when I run there. The place I grew up in. The place that shaped who I am. The place whose beauty can be matched only by few others. The painting in this post is the one my parents gave my for my Master's graduation (indeed, it is Praha).

Today was a preparation day. I spend a few hours at Target, getting some essentials for the Run. To name just a few, I got sunscreen, chapstick with sunscreen in it, cold medicine, pepto bismol, bug repellent, hand sanitizer, shower gel, baby powder, lotion, power bars, extra battery and memory for my digital camera, power adapter, first aid kit... I also got my last shot today, which would make it number 5. My left and right arms are now familiar with Tetanus, Typhoid, Hepatitis A and B. I also went to the dentist yesterday, and got my car registration renewed. I also tried to pay my car insurance, but they didn't have the bill ready yet. I do have to admit, trying to pay over a month early is not exactly my style :-). When I told them that I will be running around the world the next 3 months and need to take care of everything before I leave, they understood. Well, I am not sure if they believed me, but hey--water is life, and life is good.

No comments: