WHAT IF I WAS TO TELL YOU THAT 20 JUMBO JETS FULL OF CHILDREN WILL CRASH TODAY, & TOMORROW, & ON & ON...? Would you be concerned? THAT IS WHY WE RUN.

  • Some 6,000 children die every day from disease associated with lack of access to safe drinking water, inadequate sanitation and poor hygiene – equivalent to 20 jumbo jets crashing every day.
  • Water-related illnesses are the leading cause of human sickness and death
  • In the past 10 years, diarrhea has killed more children than all the people lost to armed conflict since World War II.
  • 1.1 billion people in the world do not have access to safe drinking water, roughly one-sixth of the world’s population.
  • PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING: $30 provides safe drinking water for 1 person for a life time! TO DONATE, just follow this link.

Friday, May 25, 2007

It's finally here!!! -leaving for BPR in the morning!


Can you believe it? The time has finally come... in the morning (Saturday), I am flying to Albany, NY and then after a two-hour car ride will arrive at Lake Placid Olympic Training Center to join my teammates - the other 19 Blue Planet Runners! Wow. It seemed that it would never come... especially the last few days. It was so hectic. Right now I am sitting in a new apartment, full of boxes. It looks like a warehouse here. I spent the last two days moving all my belongings across campus. Since I'll be working in a new building in the fall, I had to move before the trip. With all the preparations for the Run, as well as working on prepping materials for the person who will cover the building in my absence, I got quite exhausted. Running around the world now seems the easiest. Hmmm, we'll see about that.

Looking back at the last few months... it was quite an adventure just to get where I am... the eve before the start. Here is a quick list:

October: found out about Blue Planet Run
November: applied for BPR
December: Had first phone interview
January: found out I made it to the second round
February: Had second interview (over skype)
February: submitted a resume, letter of recommendation, and sample blog entry
March: Found out I was one of the runners
March: Filled out extensive personal questionnaire
April: Found out I could stay in the same job, although missing about 1.5months of work (thank you so much for working with me!)
April: got 4 shots
April: Went to London for the official BPR route and team announcement, and met all the other amazing team members
April: started my first ever blog
May:
-applied for visa from Belarus, Russia, Mongolia, China, and Canada
-got another shot
-went to the dentist
-bought 3 pairs of running shoes
-moved to a new apartment
-Got a "world runner" haircut

In 12 hours, I'll be waiting on the Cincinnati airport for my flight... While at Lake Placid, we'll have training on media relations, emergency procedures, and the logistics of the Run. I'm sure there will be other items on the agenda I'm not aware of yet. And then, on Friday June 1st, the Blue Planet Run begins!!! We'll begin changing the world. We'll begin an odyssey of hope. We'll begin a movement that will help everyone realize that life without water is not. Water is life, and life is good in Oxford.

8 comments:

Elle Are Sea said...

We at Kaplow are so excited to meet you, David! Have a great time at Boot Camp!
best,
Lindsey

David said...

Hi Lindsey.
We at David's mind (well, actuallyl it's usually just me) are also excited to meet you. Thanks for the comment, Lindsey. See you soon!
-David

Arvid said...

I am very excited for you David. Once you get closer, I will be sure to tell my friend Alex from Novosibirsk, Russia about you coming through. He is a runner to. It is a beautiful place. Best wishes through this entire incredible journey.
Arvid

Stephanie said...

David,
I am so excited for you! I've been telling all my friends and family about you and your dedication to this cause. I hope you are having a great time in New York...I can't wait for the updates!
:)
Stephanie

David said...

Hello Arvid, and greetings from Lake Placid US Olympic Training Center! Thank you for your post; it will be nice to meet your friend in Novosibirsk. It will also be my birthday :-)
Take care!
-David

David said...

Howdy howdy, Stephanie!
Indeed, a great time in New York I am having :-) It's a lot of work, but it's great finally being in the final stage of preparations. We're starting in 4 days, and the first 4 running days will be for my team of four people from 3am to 9am, so it should be a great adventure right from the get go!
-David

bill said...

hi, hope all is going well you look good. Hawaii is ok. miss talking to you, keep running for all of us. take care, Bill P.

David said...

Hi Bill!
Thank you for the comment, and greetings from Poland. Yes, everything is fine, and I am excited to be heading into uncharted territories for me. Enjoy Hawaii!!!
-David