WHAT IF I WAS TO TELL YOU THAT 20 JUMBO JETS FULL OF CHILDREN WILL CRASH TODAY, & TOMORROW, & ON & ON...? Would you be concerned? THAT IS WHY WE RUN.

  • Some 6,000 children die every day from disease associated with lack of access to safe drinking water, inadequate sanitation and poor hygiene – equivalent to 20 jumbo jets crashing every day.
  • Water-related illnesses are the leading cause of human sickness and death
  • In the past 10 years, diarrhea has killed more children than all the people lost to armed conflict since World War II.
  • 1.1 billion people in the world do not have access to safe drinking water, roughly one-sixth of the world’s population.
  • PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING: $30 provides safe drinking water for 1 person for a life time! TO DONATE, just follow this link.

Monday, May 21, 2007

New Shoes Are In - all 3 pairs!


The shoes arrived today!! All 3 pairs. I ordered them last week on the Internet, and they are here. They look good, they smell good, and they better be ready for the world. Including the ones I am using right now, I have 4 pairs of running shoes. Whoa-a little extreme. Actually, if I count my trail running shoes, I have 5 pairs!! Yep, we might be overdoing it a little, but isn't it what life is all about? Let's live outloud, let's live the dream, let's stop complaining and start a revolution. Let's run around the Blue Planet so that people can have safe drinking water. You can see I am getting little carried away :-)
Today was my last day of official shopping. I got 11 pairs of running socks, sun glasses, and running tights. All I have left to buy is 2 AA batteries, ice pack, and gloves (realizing after talking to my sister Tereza yesterday that it might get a little cold running at 2am in the Gobi desert in Mongolia). And you know what I am doing after I finish this entry? That's right, I am packing! Good times--I don't think I've ever packed 5 days before departure day. I've to devote the next 2 days to work, preparing for when I get back in September, and Thursday and Friday will be moving time. I'll be working in a different residence hall in the fall, so I need to move to the apartment in that building. I'm excited. Every end means that there is a new beginning.
I really appreciate the responses I've been getting from people about my blog. It's very encouraging to see how much people care. Life is good in Oxford... and water is life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Blog David. Do you think you'll be passing through Charter?

It's truly amazing how much we westerners take for granted, isn't it? Our church also has a mission to provide clean water in Nigeria. Here's a few more facts for your database:

Every 15 seconds someone dies of a waterborne illness, that's 5,760 people a day, or over 2 million people a year. Most of these are children.
When you flush a toilet just once in America, you've used more water than the rural African families we're called to serve have for an entire day of washing, cleaning, cooking and drinking.

What a wonderful opportunity for you to be able to contribute to the cause for clean water.

David said...

Thank you for reading, Maribeth, and for your comment. The facts are horrifying. I'm glad your church is involved with it already.
-David

Anonymous said...

David,

Hi. I read of your exciting journey in the Student Affairs newsletter at Miami. I wish you much success on the trip.

Wishing you all the best on this important journey,

Amy Greenbaum
Hillel at Miami University

David said...

Thank you for your interest, Amy, and the success wishes. I hope your summer goes well, and hope that you'll come back to the blog to see how we progress throughout the world. -David