WHAT IF I WAS TO TELL YOU THAT 20 JUMBO JETS FULL OF CHILDREN WILL CRASH TODAY, & TOMORROW, & ON & ON...? Would you be concerned? THAT IS WHY WE RUN.

  • Some 6,000 children die every day from disease associated with lack of access to safe drinking water, inadequate sanitation and poor hygiene – equivalent to 20 jumbo jets crashing every day.
  • Water-related illnesses are the leading cause of human sickness and death
  • In the past 10 years, diarrhea has killed more children than all the people lost to armed conflict since World War II.
  • 1.1 billion people in the world do not have access to safe drinking water, roughly one-sixth of the world’s population.
  • PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING: $30 provides safe drinking water for 1 person for a life time! TO DONATE, just follow this link.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Running up and close in Russia

Whoa, that was one amazing run. This morning I woke up at a hotel in Moscow around 5:15, met my team in the lobby at 6, and then we took off driving for about 2 hours east of Moscow. After a short warm-up, I started my 10mile run a little before 9am. Very soon, I fell in love with this run. The conditions were challenging, but since I was feeling good, I challenged them back. It was on. I was running on a busy highway, two lanes of traffic both directions. Running facing the traffic, sometimes there was a shoulder, sometimes there was not. I would run on the very edge, often on the dirt, or occasionally on a path that would appear by the road. It finally felt like I was in Russia. It was great. At least half of the vehicles were big heavy trucks, most of them with the name “Kamaz.” I made it a game to spot as many Kazens as I could. The noise they made was the one I always imagined it would be like at a busy highway in Russia. At one point, I ran by a house in front of which was a loose dog. It made an effort to bark at me and to kind of run towards me, but it was too lazy to do anything else. In a weird way, I was a little disappointed. I was ready for the challenge. I was ready to either sprint away, yell at it, or in the worst case to use the baton to defend myself. It would be kind of ironic… I can see the headlines: “Baton meant to spread water-crisis message used as a weapon for self-defense.” Fortunately, none of these techniques was needed, since the dog just casually barked and then just kind of stared at me with a look that was saying something like this: “Ah, this crazy runner, why is he bothering me in my home? Running around the world, huh? Doesn’t he have a bone to play with?”

After the dog encounter, it started to rain. I was about half an hour into the run, and I actually welcomed the rain. I was getting my runner’s high, and the rain enhanced it even more. You know, the tougher the conditions you’re fighting are, the tougher you feel and more chemicals get released into your brain, making you feel even better. So here I am, 6miles into my run, fighting the heavy traffic with its noise and fumes, negotiating the muddy side of the road, rain dripping down my face and making my clothes heavy and stick to my body, and having a great time. Then I pass through this small town, watching people sell blueberries on the side of the road, women walk to the grocery stores, locals waiting at the bus stop… What a sight. I felt like we’re finally doing it. We’re running around the world. Yes, Western and Central Europe were great, but it was not all that much different from the U.S. Today’s run was a nice awakening. I could not have this run anywhere in the States. A little over an hour into it, my runner’s high started to wear off, and my tiredness, sleep deprivation, and slight dehydration started to settle in. The last 2 miles were a little tough, but hey, this is not a supposed to be a rose-garden walk. We’re not running to sightsee, but to help address the water crisis, because water is life, and life is good in Russia.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I can't wait to read your posts about running in Siberia and Mongolia! You are getting close.

My family joined the run between Benesov and Trebon in the Czech Republic. We met yellow and green teams and finally saw how "everything" works. Wow, wow, wow!

I ran with Laura for a couple of miles. She let me carry the baton and it felt amazing. Faith than ran with Dot about 5 miles. I have video and pictures and will post them soon.

The press coverage in the Czech Republlic was great. Few friends of mine heard your morning interview on the radio and were impressed by the amount of time that Run received.

Good luck to all of you!

Jan

Anonymous said...

Hello David!

This is Becky from back at Miami! I have to tell you, as we are getting things ready for the new schoolk year, I have more and more people here on campus asking "How is David doing?". Everyone is really getting into the project and the message and we are tracking your progress for everyone!

Unknown said...

David -- I miss you! I'm heading back to Oxford a week from tomorrow and it's going to be strange without you. I've been keeping up with your blog and it looks like things are going well. I am so happy for you -- this experience will stay with you for the rest of your life. Happy trails!

Water is life, and life is good in California ;)

David said...

Hello Jan!
Thank you for the post, and greetigns from Novosibirsk. Yes, we're now in Siberia, and the mosqituos and bugs are relentless. But hey, that's life--we'll survive :-)
Indeed, the coverage in Czech was great. I was also pleased how much I was able to talk about the water issue. I honestly didn't expect such a nice reception from the media.
Too bad I didn't get to see you in Czech. Maybe in San Francisco?
Water is life!
-David

David said...

Hello Becky!
Nice hearing from you. Thank you for letting me know about how things are at Miami. It gets a little lonely here in Siberia sometimes, so any news from home (Ohio/Czech) is good.
Please say hi to everyone from me.
-David

David said...

Aurora!!!! Great hearing from you. I miss our loooooooong dinners in Hamilton. But I am getting plenty of Tea here in Russia :-) Nothing beats hot tea in 80F hot.
Hope all is well, and good luck on your move back to Oxford.
Say hi to Western Campus from me :-)
-David