WHAT IF I WAS TO TELL YOU THAT 20 JUMBO JETS FULL OF CHILDREN WILL CRASH TODAY, & TOMORROW, & ON & ON...? Would you be concerned? THAT IS WHY WE RUN.

  • Some 6,000 children die every day from disease associated with lack of access to safe drinking water, inadequate sanitation and poor hygiene – equivalent to 20 jumbo jets crashing every day.
  • Water-related illnesses are the leading cause of human sickness and death
  • In the past 10 years, diarrhea has killed more children than all the people lost to armed conflict since World War II.
  • 1.1 billion people in the world do not have access to safe drinking water, roughly one-sixth of the world’s population.
  • PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING: $30 provides safe drinking water for 1 person for a life time! TO DONATE, just follow this link.

Friday, June 1, 2007

The BPR is on!!! My first run at 6am on Saturday!

It happened!!! It finally happened!! This morning at 10:30, Mary started the Run of hope. She ran from the United Nations in New York City, and started a 15.200 mile long journey of hope, one that will bring safe drinking water to millions of people.
Her start was preceded by speeches by Hillary Swank (the super nice actress, whom we got to meet in person the night before), the CEO of Dow (our gracious sponsor), and Jin Zidell, the amazing visionary who started it all. Many photographers and cameras were present at this special moment. I have to admit that my eyes got watery. As you can imagine, it was a big deal. I don't think it all sunk in yet, the fact that we just kicked of the first ever around the world relay, and hopefully one that will help everyone on this planet look at water in a new way.
After Mary took off, the rest of the runners got into their respective vans and drove up the route. My team Silver (officially it's team grey, but we like Silver better) drove up to Connecticut, about 110miles up the route. We just got into our hotel a few hours ago. It is now just before 6pm, and I need to get to bed soon because we're getting up at 1am so that we are at our first exchange point well before 3am, when we take over. From then, we'll cover running the next 6 hours of the relay, each of us running 10miles (approximately 90 minutes of running). Shiri goes first, then Mary, myself, and lastly Emmanuel. Yes, I will start running at 6am, after being up since about 1am. Whoaa. Good times. I bought some Red Bull, so hopefully I won't fall asleep running. We have the same routine on Sunday morning, and after that we fly over to Ireland. I can't wait to get started running; it's been a lot of preparations, and now it's time to go, because water is life, and life is good in Connecticut.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi David!
Congratulations on finishing your first run! It's 8:30am while I'm writing this so hopefully you're resting. Things are going well in Oxford, but I miss you!
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hi David:
Glad to find you have a you-tube page. I love the minute by minute description that you and Jason are providing before BPR gets the other blogs up and running. It is exciting to see you standing at the silver car ready to go, with your radio, water, and energy bars all at hand. Can't wait to see everyone's blog. Three cheers for the Silver Sprinters.
mary's mom

David said...

Hello Stephanie!
Thanks for missing me :-)
Hope your summer is still going well!
-David

David said...

Hello Mary's Mom :-)
Thank you for your comment and reading my blog; I've really enjoyed being on the team with Mary.
All the best!
-David